What sort of ignorant conspiracy-nuts would look at a scene like that and blame it entirely on lack of logging or “job-killing” water regulations while refusing to acknowledge global warming as a major factor? Who would keep parroting rationalizations like “the climate’s changed before” with chronic resistance to established facts and the latest insights?
Stubborn right-wing idiots, that’s who. With all due respect to conservatives who can see the world beyond money, let’s call these people what they really are. We need to thin the deniers, not the trees (housing sprawl justifies understory fire-suppression). It’s long past the point where debates about man-made environmental problems are a case of “agree to disagree.” There’s a swamp of avarice badly in need of draining.
Here are some typical right-wing views on the environment, loaded with greed, pettiness and evil:
- They think the economy must grow indefinitely, spurred on by the weakest possible environmental regulations. It’s a mindset of making money and destroying anything that lacks a utilitarian or recreation purpose. They see wilderness-preservation as an economic impediment, unless of course hunting is allowed. Everything’s about human wants, with no intrinsic respect for nature. Zinke under Trump and Watt under Reagan are prime examples of that attitude. Note that “Green Growth” is driven by many of the same attitudes, covered at length elsewhere on this blog.
- They decry immigration (wise in a carrying-capacity context) yet defund contraception for impoverished nations, which could actually reduce the pressure. They’d rather build yuugely expensive walls to support resource-guzzling, make-work construction jobs. Their ability to grasp root causes and effects is limited by archaic beliefs and small-mindedness. A typical right-winger wants to know as little as possible about the nuances of a topic and far more about the latest slogans. Mind you, this is also true on the far Left, but they’re more forgiving of racial differences, even though some of it is naive.
- Mindless global warming denial is an automatic response from Republicans. CO2 supposedly disobeys the laws of physics just for them. Some of the smarter ones acknowledge the science but would rather tow the party line and keep the threat vague, or throw free-market solutions at it. They “forget” that the free-market necessitated the EPA after decades of industry inaction. They now support filth-mongers like Trump, bent on crippling the EPA’s taken-for-granted progress. This speech by Steven F. Hayward is one of the worst (or rather best) examples of AGW-denial. He’s got no science background but rubes are easily fooled by his calculated language, just as shapely Fox News babes beguile them.
- A number of wingnuts literally hate nature and take pride in pillaging it. Look in any comment section on endangered species articles and you’ll find some GOP dirtbag wanting a cost-benefit analysis of its very existence, wishing it gone for economic expedience. “Wipe your ass with a spotted owl” was a popular white trash slogan, as if decimating forests is a good thing. If that’s not an evil, sadistic attitude, what is? Creationism is common among that ilk, with emphasis on “subdue” in Genesis 1:28. One species, arrogant under God, united to destroy.
- They call themselves “pro-life” yet won’t enact common sense gun laws and enjoy killing non-human life for entertainment. They’re eager to shoot anything they can label a pest or game animal, often just to test new firearms or bows. This is where their innate evil is manifested in plain sight. It’s hard to tell how many right-wing ideologues actively kill, but they don’t criticize it much. The true motives of quasi-hunters have become very clear with online media sharing. Here’s what many “sportsmen” are up to, grinning all the while. Clearly morally superior to any subhuman mongrel.
What exactly is a right-winger vs. an honest conservative? List of basic traits:
- Like other crass individuals, these people make few attempts to control their reptilian brains and unrefined amygdalas, but they do it in a specific ideological context framed by ethnic heritage.
- They tend to be shifty-eyed, incurious people who claim to be honest and fair but will lie & cheat if something cramps their style. You can tell when you’re speaking to one by a certain blank look, frequent sarcasm and flashes of anger. They like Trump because those behaviors suit him. Evangelicals who voted for Trump were sleazy all along (“mystery” solved).
- They’re always gloating about God, guns and greed. The Chosen Ones preach the loudest, shoot the fastest and grab the most resources. They’ve twisted blatant self-interest into a frontier-morality legend. Their false belief that frontiers are still plentiful drives much of their anti-regulation mindset.
- They prefer a bare minimum of knowledge to “git ‘er done,” e.g. “I don’t need book learnin’ to remove my catalytic converter and piss off the EPA.” If you ask them to think beyond what they “already lernt” they get agitated, in part because many lack intelligence and are jealous of those who have it. Basic stupidity explains some radical conservatism.
- They dumb-down complicated topics and over-complicate basic ones to suit ideology. Global warming denial is loaded with that attitude.
- Morally, they’re the white equivalent of black or Hispanic ghetto thugs, with similar gun and vehicle obsessions. A common thread is “We do whatever we feel like and if others are affected, tough luck.” The appearance of having power, even when unearned, is vital to them.
- As with ghetto gang-bangers, everything bad that happens to a right-winger is someone else’s fault, often the government’s. In morally decent countries (which America aspires to be) corrupt people whine the most about “big gub’mint” because they resent how it controls their corruption, which they pass off as “individual rights.”
- If you catch them doing something morally wrong or illegal, they’re likely to keep doing it just to spite their accusers. Polluting and wasting energy on Earth Day or shooting game out of season are typical examples.
When a right-winger lies about humans having minimal impact, or talks about “plenty of land remaining,” refer them to Google Earth time-lapse imagery. Start by showing them lands with so-called sustainable logging and watch them go silent. Forests are constantly being pillaged because the population never stops growing. The process is also known as “job creation” among those who respect no other benchmark.
Per the topmost photo, this was written while surrounded by forest fire smoke, which gets one thinking about mass stupidity and denial as a political agenda. Don’t just blame the likes of Trump, blame your neighbors who thought he was fit to lead and supported his anti-EPA, monument-shrinking agenda. The current POTUS is merely the latest incarnation of a piss-on-nature mentality that Reagan kicked into high gear. People like that have been around since America was founded, and exist all over the world. They should be corralled in the foulest possible cities while decent people try to do the actual RIGHT thing.
P.S. This author is not technically liberal; just pointing out the worst of human nature from various angles. There are still good conservatives, meaning ones who actually conserve resources and respect wildlife. They unfortunately get drowned out by the far right. More are switching to Independent status but it doesn’t do much for elections.
This page will be updated and reworded at random with new information. If you cite it, please post the link instead of a pasted snapshot.